The Scouts of the World allows a Rover Scout Crew to structure their year around a main service project, with a role for everyone to help achieve the Rover Challenge.
Service: Organise a large community project.
- Register with Scouting Ireland
- Maintain personal logs and crew records
- Discovery: Learn about a social issue (at least 21 hours)
- Do the community project (80 hours)
- Review your project and commit to maintenance
- Submit logs and report
- Receive the Award
Messengers of Peace acts a way of doing a Rover Scout service project that enables each member to participate in a meaningful programme.
Service: Organise a local community project.
- Plan: Learn about a social issue (two meetings / day adventure) and decide on the ways in which you can help (two meetings)
- Do: Crews complete a community project (two weekends)
- Review: Examine and evaluate your project and commit to maintenance, if required (meeting, on-going)
Rover Scouts can use the ASSES to complete the World Scout Environmental Badge while making progress in their Rover Challenge. Completing the Badge is intended to last for the duration of an average programme cycle; for Rover Scouts this should be about 7 meetings and 2 weekend activities.
Each of the sections of the Badge can be linked to the ASSES, for example:
- Environmental: Explore systems of clean water and clean air (eg examining water in different sites, such as a river, lake, beach).
- Adventure: Explore a natural habitats (eg examining a habitat, such as a forest, marshland, or an upland area).
- Environmental: Learn about environmentally harmful substances (waste disposal and recycling practices).
- Character: Commit to following environmentally positive practices (Leave No Trace, personal responsibilities etc).
- Social: Learn about natural disasters and their effects (look at recent natural disasters, NGO responses, and responses to local incidents).
- Service: Organise an environmental project (Environmental Special Interest Badge) with a planning/preparation meeting, a weekend long project, and a review & celebration meeting.
Sections 1 to 5 are the exploration and reflect stage, and should involve 5 meetings and a weekend activity which explores the themes in a practical way.